Friday, April 18, 2008

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

In a moment of weakness I broke down and read The Ruins after seeing all the advertising hype that went with the novel's movie. Big mistake! I did not enjoy it one bit.

So to satisfy my BAM challenge I need something that wouldn't take too long to read. And I wanted to cleans my mind. This month's theme is beauty which should be helpful, right?

Well as I was straightening a bookcase I notice a book I hadn't read since childhood. Hence my review is a repeat which I enjoyed reading this past week.

Beautiful Joe
by Margaret Marshall Saunders
Children's book

Beautiful Joe is a story that is based on true events. The book documents the cruelity and rescue of animals, most notably Joe. Joe is a dog who as a pup had his ears and tail axed off by his first master in a fit of anger.

Sad as this story is, the book is wonderful for it viewpoint which is told through the eyes of Beautiful Joe. And the stories of triumph over adversities makes this book a favorite of mine since my childhood.

Interestingly, I discovered that the book was a winner of a humane society writers contest in the 1800s. I can certainly see why.

1 comment:

WeavingLibrarian said...

I haven't thought of this book in years. Thanks for the reminder.

Patty